• Be aware of risk of injury to the head, hands and feet.
• Clear the area to be cut before each use. Remove
rocks, broken glass, nails, wire, string and other
objects which may be thrown or become entangled in
the cutting attachment. Clear the area of children,
bystanders and pets; keep them outside a 50-foot
(15 m.) radius, at a minimum. Even then, they are still
at risk from thrown objects. Encourage bystanders to
wear eye protection. If you are approached, stop the
• Squeeze the throttle control and check that it returns
automatically to the idle position. Make all adjustments
or repairs before using the unit.
• This unit was not designed to be used as a
brushcutter. Do not attach or operate this unit with any
type of brushcutting blade or brushcutting attachment.
Safety Warnings for Gas Trimmers
WARNING: Gasoline is highly flammable,
and its vapors can explode if ignited. Take
the following precautions:
• Store fuel only in containers specifically designed and
approved for the storage of such materials.
• Always stop the engine and allow it to cool before
filling the fuel tank. Never remove the fuel tank cap or
add fuel when the engine is hot. Never operate the unit
without the fuel cap securely in place. Loosen the fuel
tank cap slowly to relieve any pressure in the tank.
• Add fuel in a clean, well-ventilated outdoor area where
there are no sparks or flames. Remove the fuel cap
slowly, and only after the engine stops. Do not smoke
while fueling or mixing fuel. Wipe up any spilled fuel
from the unit immediately.
• Avoid creating a source of ignition for spilled fuel. Do
not start the engine until fuel vapors dissipate.
• Move the unit at least 30 feet (9.1 m) from the fueling
source and site before starting the engine. Do not
smoke. Keep sparks and open flames away from the
area while adding fuel or operating the unit.
• Never start or run the unit inside a closed room or
building. Breathing exhaust fumes can be fatal.
Operate this unit only in a well-ventilated outdoor area.
• Wear safety glasses or goggles that meet ANSI Z87.1
standards and are marked as such. Wear ear/hearing
protection when operating this unit. Wear a face or
dust mask if the operation is dusty.
• Wear heavy long pants, boots, gloves and a long
sleeve shirt. Do not wear loose clothing, jewelry, short
pants, sandals or go barefoot. Secure hair above
• The cutting attachment shield must always be in place
while operating the unit. Do not operate unit without
both trimming lines extended, and the proper line
installed. Do not extend the trimming line beyond the
length of the shield.
• This unit has a clutch. The cutting attachment remains
stationary when the engine is idling. If it does not, have
the unit adjusted by an authorized service technician.
• Adjust the D-handle to your size in order to provide the
• Be sure the cutting attachment is not in contact with
anything before starting the unit.
• Use the unit only in daylight or good artificial light.
• Avoid accidental starting. Remain in the starting
position whenever pulling the starter rope. The
operator and unit must be in a stable position while
starting. Refer to Starting/Stopping Instructions.
• Use the right tool. Only use this tool for its intended
• Do not overreach. Always keep proper footing and
• Always hold the unit with both hands when operating.
Keep a firm grip on both handles or grips.
• Keep hands, face, and feet at a distance from all
moving parts. Do not touch or try to stop the cutting
attachment when it rotates.
• Do not touch the engine, gear housing or muffler.
These parts get extremely hot from operation, even
after the unit is turned off.
• Do not operate the engine faster than the speed
needed to cut, trim or edge. Do not run the engine at
high speed when not cutting.
• Always stop the engine when cutting is delayed or
when walking from one cutting location to another.
• If you strike or become entangled with a foreign
object, stop the engine immediately and check for
damage. Do not operate before repairing damage. Do
not operate the unit with loose or damaged parts.
• Stop the unit, switch the engine to off, and disconnect
the spark plug for maintenance or repair.
• Use only Genuine Factory Parts™ replacement parts
and accessories for this unit. These are available from
your authorized service dealer. Use of any unauthorized
parts or accessories could lead to serious injury to the
user, damage to the unit, and a voided warranty.
• Keep unit clean of vegetation and other materials.
They may become lodged between the cutting
attachment and shield.
• To reduce fire hazard, replace a faulty muffler and
spark arrestor. Keep the engine and muffler free from
grass, leaves, excessive grease or carbon build up.
Other Safety Warnings
• Never store a fueled unit inside a building where fumes
may reach an open flame or spark.
• Allow the engine to cool before storing or transporting.
Be sure to secure the unit while transporting.
•Store the unit in a dry area, locked up or up high to prevent
unauthorized use or damage, out of the reach of children.
• Never douse or squirt the unit with water or any other
liquid. Keep handles dry, clean and free from debris. Clean
after each use, see Cleaning and Storage instructions.
• Keep these instructions. Refer to them often and use
them to instruct other users. If you loan someone this
unit, also loan them these instructions.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS