- •Welcome to AppleShare IP 6.1
- •AppleShare IP Software Components
- •After You Read This Manual
- •Using the Onscreen Help
- •Learning About AppleShare IP
- •Installing Your Software
- •Planning Your AppleShare IP Services
- •Preparing Your Computer’s Environment
- •System Requirements
- •If You Are Upgrading Your AppleShare Software
- •Preparing Your Computer for AppleShare IP
- •Backing Up Necessary Files
- •Creating Network Settings
- •Setting Up Energy Saver
- •Verifying the Computer’s Date, Time, and Time Zone
- •Installed Files
- •Performing a Recommended Installation
- •Performing a Customized Installation
- •Setting Up AppleShare IP
- •Using AppleShare IP Easy Setup
- •Normal Setup
- •Custom Setup
- •AppleTalk Setup
- •Registering a User for the First Time
- •Setting Up Share Points for the First Time
- •Setting Up Web Service for the First Time
- •Setting Up Windows File Sharing for the First Time
- •Setting Up Remote Administration for the First Time
- •Setting Up the Mail Server for the First Time
- •Setting Up the Print Server for the First Time
- •Getting Users Ready
- •Windows Client Services
- •Changing the Startup Disk
AppleShare IP 6.1
Includes preparation, installation, and setup information
K Apple Computer, Inc.
© 1998 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.
Under the copyright laws, this manual may not be copied, in whole or in part, without the written consent of Apple. Your rights to the software are governed by the accompanying software license agreement.
The Apple logo is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Use of the “keyboard” Apple logo
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information in this manual is accurate. Apple is not responsible for printing or clerical errors.
Apple Computer, Inc. 1 Inﬁnite Loop
Apple, the Apple logo, AppleShare, AppleTalk, LaserWriter, LocalTalk, Mac, MacDNS, Macintosh, MacTCP, OpenDoc, and Power Macintosh are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
At Ease, Finder, and The Apple Store are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.
Netscape Navigator is a trademark of Netscape Communications Corporation.
NuBus is a trademark of Texas Instruments.
Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation.
PostScript is a trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated or its subsidiaries and may be registered in certain jurisdictions.
PowerPC and the PowerPC logo are trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation, used under license therefrom.
UNIX is a registered trademark in the United States and other countries, licensed exclusively through X/Open Company, Ltd.
Other company and product names mentioned herein are trademarks of their respective companies. Mention of
Simultaneously published in the United States and Canada.
Welcome to AppleShare IP 6.1
AppleShare IP Software Components
After You Read This Manual
Using the Onscreen Help
Learning About the Mac OS
Learning About AppleShare IP
1 Installing Your Software
Planning Your AppleShare IP Services
Preparing Your Computer’s Environment
If You Are Upgrading Your AppleShare Software 11
Preparing Your Computer for AppleShare IP
Backing Up Necessary Files
Installing Mac OS 8.5
Creating Network Settings
Setting Up Energy Saver
Verifying the Computer’s Date, Time, and Time Zone 24
Installing AppleShare IP Software
Installed Files 25
Performing a Recommended Installation
Performing a Customized Installation
2 Setting Up AppleShare IP
Using AppleShare IP Easy Setup
Using AppleShare IP for the First Time
Registering a User for the First Time
Setting Up Share Points for the First Time
Setting Up Web Service for the First Time
Setting Up Windows File Sharing for the First Time
Setting Up Remote Administration for the First Time
Setting Up the Mail Server for the First Time
Setting Up the Print Server for the First Time
Getting Users Ready 64
Upgrading Mac OS Clients
Mac OS Client Services
Windows Client Services
Changing the Startup Disk